Attractions > Marquis of Anglesey Column
Marquis of Anglesey Column
The panorama of the Menai Strait backed by the mountains of Snowdonia is spectacular and memorable.
The splendid column was finished two years after the battle of Waterloo, 18th of June, 1815. The statue was added in 1860 to commemmorate the life of Henry William Paget, Earl of Uxbridge and first Marquess of Anglesey.
The Marquess was second-in-command to Wellington at Waterloo, where he lost his right leg but survived and lived to the grand age of eighty five. His great house, Plas Newydd, lies less than two miles away from the column and is now a National Trust property.